Thursday, September 07, 2006

It's For Real

Well, now it's for real. I have tickets. I have a Eurail Pass. I have reservations. Fucking reservations! I never thought it would happen to me. My previous travel experience - Thailand, India, West Africa, Central America &c. - did not generally require such things. Well, the tickets, yes, but the other things seemed like the extravagant domain of bourgeois neo-colonial tourists. Not PomoBohoHobos like myself. But here I am, with two whole hotels reserved before my departure. I don't know about this.

I've never traveled in Europe. I went there as a kid with my family, and I spent three days in Paris en route to Benin, but I've never traveled there. This experience will be interesting. And goddamn expensive. But how can one claim to be a Traveler, an Adventurer, or a Man of the World if one is not intimately familiar with the backstreets of Pigalle or the tapas joints of San Sebastian in the Basque Country. Impossible.

So, on Monday I will set off. Wish me luck.

No comments: